Lily Toxicity In Cats

Lilies are beautiful, fragrant and TOXIC to cats. Lilies are commonly used in holiday bouquets and found in gardens or growing wild outdoors. If your cat ingests even a small piece of the plant or flower he or she will require immediate medical attention. If not treated within a short time cats will go into renal failure. Ideally treatment should begin within 6 hours of ingestion of the plant to avoid illness. If treatment is delayed the cat will go into renal failure after 18 hours. The gastrointestinal and nervous system may also be affected. The pollen of the lily plant is also toxic. If your cat has brushed up against the plant or stepped in the pollen that has fallen on the table top you need to bath your cat as soon as possible to avoid ingestion of the pollen during grooming.

Signs your cat may have ingested pollen are

  • Vomiting                                                         
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Tremors
  • Seizures

Signs of advanced stage of lily toxicity – renal failure are

  •  Increased drinking
  • Increased urination, followed by decreased urination and than no urination
  • Dehydration
  • Death

I love lilies but our cat Kik nibbles on house plants and just a small nibble of the plant or brush up against the flower of the lily plant can be toxic and fatal to him. I have banned lilies from the house for his safety.

Written by Rhonda Burns : Darlington Veterinary Hospital in Woodbridge Ontario.

Font Resize
Contrast
Call Us Text Us